Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Parthenope (Naples)

On the small island of Megaride there is the oldest standing fortification in Naples (picture above). During the 8th century BC Greek colonists founded on the island of Megaride, which is now a peninsula, the first nucleus of the city of Naples (South Italy). They named the settlement Parthenope, after the siren in Greek mythology. 
The seagull in the picture below is enjoying the gulf of Naples and its volcano. 





Since Friday 24 September I have been in Naples, as my mother and my two sisters live there with their families. I noticed that many people, who live in Naples, wear a mask outdoors. After a while I learnt that Naples mayor ordered to continue to wear masks and observe social distancing rules everywhere. He is afraid the virus may be still dangerous, although more than 60% of people who live in Naples are fully vaccinated.


The picture below shows an old local market in Naples, where I bought Italian walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts ... unfortunately, grocery and supermarket clerks in Rome and surroundings (where I live) sell walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts that are almost exclusively shipped from great distance, such as Argentina, Australia, Chile, South Africa,  US (California), Turkey, etc. 

I think eating local food is better for us, for the environment, and for our taste buds.


14 comments:

Tom said...

...thanks for sharing the sights today. The gull in the foreground is creative shot.

SzgnBsl said...

All the photos are beautiful but i really liked the first photo and the food photo:)

Giorgio said...

To Tom and SzgnBsl:
thanks for the appreciation my friends :-)

Veronica Lee said...

Loving your photos as always, Giorgio.

I especially love that gull shot.

Happy Wednesday!

kestrel said...

It is nice to live surrounded by sea in all directions. This is one of my many dreams, to retire to a place that has a beach or sea front. It makes such a difference to be able to go to the waters and feel the breeze. Parthenope seems an older city. The meal pix looks exciting - squid? and are the flowers just for decoration or are they edible?

Giorgio said...

To Kestrel:
Right, Kestrel! There's a squid finely sliced. In addition, there are octopus and shrimps in that fish dish ๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฆ
The pink flowers are edible ... they are also useful for adding to drinks and cakes as flavoured sugar.
Thanks for the appreciation, Kestrel ⛵☀️⚓

Mica said...

What a beautiful place! It's nice you got to visit :)

here we have mask rules indoors even when there are no cases so it's something that will be with us for a while I think, the mask wearing!

Hope your week is going well and you have a nice weekend ahead of you :)

Away From The Blue

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for sharing the information and lovely selection of photographs, I especially like the one with the gull in the foreground.

I think it's nice to eat locally grown and sourced food.

Happy October wishes, this year is flying by so quickly.

All the best Jan

J.P. Alexander said...

Me gustarรญa, conocer Napoles. Bellas imagenes te mando un beso
Enamorada de las letras

Ivana Split said...

Nice to read more about Naples.

Black Knight said...

Remembering nice time spenti in Naples and also ..... delicious Pizza Margherita.

DVArtist said...

This post is a real treat for me. My family is from Naples. I have never been there and certainly don't know the family that is there. My grandfather visited there often and took 8mm movies of all the family. A few years later we had them changed to vidio. I have it now on a flash drive. These are old movies of Naples in the 1950s and 60s. Thanks for sharing this. I would send you cookies if I knew they wouldn't get stale. LOL

Giorgio said...

To Nicole:
I remember you told me your family is from Naples ... your surname is typical of Naples and South Italy ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น I would be so curious to see those movie.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the post, Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually, if you sent the cookies, they would be no longer fresh ๐Ÿช ๐Ÿช ๐Ÿช ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL

DVArtist said...

Just wanted to thank you for the website. She has a beautiful website and her art is incredible.