Thursday, October 21, 2021

Plastic apples

The apples in the picture below seem realistic decorative apples for home or kitchen decoretion. Unfortunately, they are true apples, and they were shipped from one of the Northernmost village in Italy. I saw them at the supermarket in Civitavecchia (Central Italy). 


I also saw Australian walnuts, Chinese garlic, and Argentinian almonds! Maybe, we should boost the supply of fresh, healthy and locally produced food.
 


The photo below has nothing to do with plastic red apples and walnuts shipped from the Southern emisphere. One week ago I went to Naples, South Italy, once again. As I mentioned in my previous post, published on 28th of September, I already went there last month. In Naples I saw "The seven acts of mercy" represented in the Caravaggio's oil painting. The painting was made in 1607 and it is housed in the church of "Pio Monte della Misericordia" in Naples. Caravaggio combined all seven acts of mercy in one composition, instead of seven separate panels around the church.

https://www.caravaggio.org/the-seven-works-of-mercy.jsp



If you go to Italy, please don't miss to visit Naples. I will go there in December, once again.

15 comments:

Tom said...

...many consumers want "perfect" food.

Giorgio said...

True 😀🍎🍏🍐

SzgnBsl said...

Maybe it's the most beautiful apples I've ever seen and I would like to taste it :) I think I mentioned it before, I stayed in Naples for 3 days in 2013 and it was a pleasant trip :)

J.P. Alexander said...

Lindas manzanas y bella pintura te mando un beso

DVArtist said...

Those are called red delicious apples here in the States is that what they are called there? They are my favorite apple but I can't buy them in my town I have to go 80 miles to get them. I do peal all that waxy shinny creep stuff off before eating them. That is a stunning painting. If I ever get to Italy I will look you up so you and your family can show me around.

baili said...

apples are shiny enough to look like artificial one honestly ,this is nice you have privilege to have such finest quality of fruits near you ,our northern part grows finest apples but here in southern part we find rough ones mostly .

best of luck for next visit to Italy .
blessings!

Rajani Rehana said...

Fabulous post

Giorgio said...

To Nicole:
We also call them "Delicious red apples".
Let me know when you will plan to visit Italy. You are welcome, Nicole! We will show you many unusual places to visit.
Enjoy the weekend ahead of you!


To Alexander, Tom, baili and SzgnBsl:
Thanks for sharing your point of view through your comment :-)
Have a nice weekend!

Lowcarb team member said...

Our supermarkets have fruits and vegetables from all over the world.
I like to go to a local Farm shop or Farmers Market to buy local produce.

That painting is stunning.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Black Knight said...

In December I come back to Naples and for sure I will go to see the Caravaggio painting.
And .... a pizza at the Trianon.

Mica said...

That's a great painting! We have those kinds of apples here as well, I don't think they are very tasty so we get other kinds instead!

Hope that your week is going well :)

Away From The Blue

Veronica Lee said...

How privileged to have such quality fruits near you.

Beautiful painting, Giorgio.

kestrel said...

I must agree the apples look a bit artificial as they seem to have a lot of wax on the skin. But they are deliciously red! Goggled the 7 acts of Mercy by Caravaggio and it is interesting story of 7 compassionate acts that Catholics should follow. The 2 angels at the top with Wings look quite arresting. You are luck to have got to see this original in the church.

Giorgio said...

To kestrel:
I am so glad to hear you were interested in the Caravaggio's old painting and googled the website. If you were to visit Italy, I would show you the church and its paintings :-)
Thanks fot the appreciation, Kestrel!
I hope you will have a nice week ahead of you

Ivana Split said...

I love Caravaggio's paintings.