Sunday, August 15, 2021

August 15th, Public holiday in Italy

August 15th is the day when Chatolics celebrate the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It seems the day was also a holiday in Roman times, as it was intended to be the beginning of a weekend of rest after months of hard labour. Nowadays, August 15th still marks the start of the Summer break for many Italians, who usually escape the heat at seaside, lakes or mountains.

The picture above shows the Sorgeto bay, which is the location of a true outdoor thermal park. Sorgeto bay is situated on the island of Ischia, which is the largest of the phlegrean islands (30 kilometres East of Naples). My daughter, who went there last week, sent me the picture.

The pictures below show three houses for sale in Santa Marinella, a municipality located about 60 kilometres Northwest of Rome, which includes beach resorts and a medieval castle. The three houses are located close to the sea. They were built more than 100 years ago.





And still in Santa Marinella there's the beach that I'm enjoying on August 15th


The bad news is that we (Italians) don't know who is setting our hills and forests on fire ... during the night and without a cop to bother him/her. I took a picture of a burning hill when I went to Itri, a small town in Central Italy. 


My two daughters, my nephew and I enjoyed a challenging trekking in the hills two days before the burning.











Along the path there were many signs indicating the ways to the various sites. 
We didn't wear a mask while we were walking up-hill.


At the moment, 57.1% Italian people have got the vaccine.

9 comments:

Tom said...

...enjoy this special time of summer Gorigio. I will never understand why people will intentionally start fires!

DVArtist said...

Giorgio this is a wonderful post. I love seeing Italy, learning about some of the culture and most of all seeing your beautiful family. However, the fires are horrid. We are surrounded by them and even on the cost we are getting the smoke. Be well my friend.

SzgnBsl said...

I'm very sorry about the fire issue.. You must have heard about what happened in our country.. We had big fires everywhere.. It was hard days.. The picture is wonderful, it's like a secret corner of paradise :) Happy new week:)

paola lauretano said...

Che bello questo recap, adoro Ischia e la terza casa in vendita a Santa Marinella รจ adorabile!
Resto senza parole davanti a quello che sta accadenso ai nostri boschi!!!
Kisses, Paola.

Expressyourself


My Instagram

Mica said...

The seas look lovely and so does your hike! it's a shame about the fires though, I hope that they can be put out quickly!

Hope your week is off to a great start :)

Away From The Blue

Lowcarb team member said...

So nice to see both the sea and the trail in your photographs.
However, I am so sorry about the fires.

Take care.

All the best Jan

Veronica Lee said...

So sad to hear about the fires.

I enjoy seeing Italy whenever I visit your blog.

Happy Wednesday, Giorgio!

kestrel said...

Sorgeto Bay is simply gorgeous, the view is so scenic. I can simply sit on that hill all day. Houses in Santa Marinella do not look so old and it would be a great place to stay so near to the sea. Sorry to hear about the fires. It was good all of you had good hikes before the fires. Looks like you are enjoying the great summer weather.

Giorgio said...

To Kestrel, Mica, Veronica, Paola, Nicole, SzgnBls, Tom and Lowcarb team member: I am glad to see you (members of our blogging community) enjoyed my post about Summer in Italy. Thanks for sharing your point of view through your comment.