Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Can you go running with your boss? It depends on a number of factors

No one could think otherwise about advantages to being friends with our boss. But how do we know when it's a good idea to be friend with our boss? I am writing down this post about the relationship between boss and subordinate after I had spoken with my boss about running, races, and average pace. I noticed that my boss is a runner (sort of). So last week while I was speaking with him about running he said he would like to join my running group once a week. He  doesn't live in the same town where he works, that's why he would like to discover new running paths as he doesn't know Civitavecchia and its outskirts. Maybe, he is looking for new places to run or he doesn't like to run on his own. Anyway, my answer was: "Yes, of course. I would be honored. You can join my running group whenever you want ". 
In my opinion the main question is: are we going together because we genuinely get along?  I have to think how to make sure that the friendship-boss line doesn't get blurred. In addition, some colleagues might perceive  the relationship with the boss as  favoritism.
I'd like to put on this post two pictures which I took on this rainy Wednesday. I took the first picture from my office (pink houses). The second one shows pink colors of both the trees along the sidewalk and the buildings in the middle of the town.  I took it this morning  while I was going to work.

Can you go running with your boss? I'd like to know your point of view about this topic.

6 comments:

Char said...

One of the girls in our squad had her boss join up too and it worked pretty well until she decided to quit her job. But even then it was only awkward for a few sessions.

Amy said...

I suppose it depends on the individual situation. But the fact that you are wondering about it seems to show you find it a bit awkward. And you certainly won't be able to vent work frustrations with your running pals anymore!

Kenley said...

I know of my boss going golfing with some of my work mates. I soon hope to be able to work for myself. haha. Thanks for sharing the awesome pics on a rainy day. At least no selfies were included. lol

ajh said...

If you are faster than your boss it could be awkward. It depends I guess. But how would you say no? That would be awkward, too. I think it just happens and he/she has to deal with it if you're faster. I wouldn't have to be their only friend in the group and babysit them all the time. My boss doesn't run so no worries here.

Black Knight said...

Consentigli di correre con te solo se indossa un completino nero! E' ora di tornare a terrorizzare questi gaglioffi che infestano le nostre strade spacciandosi per runners!

Half Crazed Runner said...

Yes you can run with your boss - that is if you have a cool boss who doesn't mind that you can kick his ...LOL!