Saturday, June 08, 2013

Blood cholesterol levels

Since last week I have had another thought which gives me motivation on the running front: I've noticed that my blood cholesterol levels are high enough. In Italy and other European countries Cholesterol levels are measured in milligrams of cholesterol per deciliter (mg/dL) of blood and total cholesterol level below 200 mg/dl is desirable. At the moment, my cholesterol level is 254 mg/dL. It's so high although I always do the best cholesterol-lowering exercises, such as are walking, running, and swimming (in summer only). Actually, a combination between an active lifestyle and healthy food can help to lower cholesterol levels.
I'm afraid I can't forget to keep my cholesterol levels within healthy limits and have no choice but avoid high-cholesterol food. I need to avoid foods that are high in saturated fat and can raise cholesterol levels in the blood. As it is known, there are two different types of fats, saturated and unsaturated, which can make a huge difference in meal planning. I'm trying to replace foods containing saturated fats with foods that are high in unsaturated fats such as healthy oils, fish, beans, and nuts.
Last week our Dutch blogger friend, Fran, from Netherlands, said (through her comment left on my blog) that she would plan to cook spaghetti carbonara next week. So she reminded me that traditional Italian dish: unfortunately, that carbonara recipe combines cream, eggs, cheese and bacon ... which contain saturated fats :( 


The first picture above shows the starting line of the 2013 Rome's Race for the cure and the second one has been taken on the same day before I ran that Race. It shows an old church with a simple architecture, located in a green neighborhood of Rome. The photo mentioned also shows some runners, before the race, while they were doing the warm-up next to the church.





Just a little bit no more time to show two old stone houses that have only recently come up for sale (In the last two pictures above).
Those characteristic flats face south and are located in a lovely village of Tuscany. The name of the village is Piancastagnaio  and I wrote down a post about that place last year on November 3rd, after I had visited it. Last month I saw those particular stone houses whose price is good enough. I would advise those old stone houses to a friend of mine who would want to own and run a characteristic and unusual "Bad and Breakfast" in Tuscany.
Nice weekend to all my blogger friends!

9 comments:

Char said...

Does this mean that I shouldn't offer you a cupcake if you ever come to visit? I make them with butter.

Giorgio said...

Reply to Char: you could try to make those cupcake with olive oil ... just a joke :) I would be honoured to have your cupcakes: I can sometimes eat butter (about once a week). Plus, I hope my blood cholesterol levels will decrease soon.

ajh said...

It would be impossible to resist Char's cupcakes. Good luck getting down your cholesterol. I always enjoy your pictures.

Thomas Bussiere said...

I want a cupcake! My cholesterol runs a little high also, but my good cholesterol is high also which provides a nice balance. Very high is not good, but low is not good either. We need cholesterol for our body functions.

Fran said...

If you don't want her cupcake: I will. And cupcakes (and any other pastry) should always be made with butter.

I agree on de carbonara, it's not the healthiest choice but so good. I try to eat as healthy as possible and try to avoid processed foods as much as possible.

My cholesterol is very good (got it tested at the end of last year). But I can understand that this is a good motivation for you to keep moving and eat healthy.

Black Knight said...

Ci mancava anche questa! Eppure dicono che la corsa aggiusta tutto...
Per quanto mi riguarda sono ancora fermo e sto prendendo gli antinfiammatori per il ginocchio. Massimina รจ saltata, speriamo bene per Orbetello.
Fortunatamente ho ripreso a nuotare.
Ci si sente presto.

martin briars said...

ha ha - a house for "Bad" and Breakfast - that is really with ENglish food ;)
myhalf Iron went very well - http://martinbriars.blogspot.fr/2013/05/barcelona-ld-challenge.html

good luck with teh diet - i LOVE Italian food.
marti

Unknown said...

I am doing research on my Italian ancestry. My family immigrated from Ausonia, Italy to New York in the late 1800's. Somehow I stumbled onto your blog-site because you posted some beautiful pictures from Ausonia a few years ago. If you know anyone from this area I would love to talk to them.
I am planning a visit to Italy and would really love to trace my heritage!
Please email nspartano@gmail.com if you could. Thank you!
Nicole Spartano

Mariya said...

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post!
Thanks
generic zetia