Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Water with apple juice

I had a beautiful time this past weekend: first of all, on Sunday I ran 16 km long run with the group from 08:00 to 09:30 am.  Summer is going to begin and the weather  is hot enough here in Italy. In fact, if we had begin our training one hour before the weather conditions would have been better ... next Sunday we'll meet at 07:00 am.
After the run, I spent all the rest of the that sunny Sunday on the beach, where the water was pleasant. In the evening I enjoyed the football match Denmark vs Germany for the 2012 european championship on TV. On Monday, 18th,  Italy advanced to the quarterfinals after winning the final match aganist Ireland :) Italy will play on Sunday, in Kyiv, against England.
As above mentioned, the hot weather is increasing sharply and it's time to be careful about hydration. Today I've drunk water and apple juice (more water than apple juice), which doesn't contain any sugar. I think it is a simple way to put more water into my body ... of course I have to eat more fruit and vegetables.
After I had done a long run on Sunday, I ran 45 mins relaxing on Monday and today at 06:30 pm I am doing repeats (5 x 4 mins at 04:30 min/km average pace). I'm making the registration for a 10 km race that will be held in my town on July, 1st. Unfortunately, the race starts at 09:30 am and this isn't a good thing, considering the weather conditions ... but how can I avoid  a race in my town?
Happy running to everyone!

7 comments:

Amy said...

One of our favorite drinks is a glass of sparkling water with a splash of apple juice! We call it "apfelschorle" - it is awesome in the summer.

ajh said...

You can't avoid a race in your town. Best of luck and have fun.

Thomas Bussiere said...

Hydrate well in advance, and during the race. Go a little slower and drop the hammer the last few miles. You have to do your home town race.
Good luck

Char said...

A 9:30am start in the middle of Summer is really not a great idea. I have a 10k too on that weekend and we will be starting at 6:30am and it's Winter here.

Black Knight said...

We can always avoid a race in our town. Remember Vivicittà .....

Ewa said...

On hot days I can't stop myself from devouring cold watermelon. Yum!
Soccer!!! I am surprised anyone in Europe is working these days. :)

Fran said...

It sure was hot at the beginning of the week. We didn't do much on our last days in Italy because of the heat.

You could try to add some limes or lemons to your water or fresh mint. That gives a nice taste to the water too.